Monday, June 20, 2011

One for the decades.....

That is how long it had been, decades, since I spent time with my Dad. We have visited occasionally when in Phoenix but they were short visits and most of what we discussed was superficial.

This visit was different. Dad and his friend Rita were here in Angel Fire for the 22nd Annual NMMI Trailride. They stayed at our condo, a 10 minute ride from the house, and they visited with us every day.

Dad is the man who was, in every way except one, my Father. He was and is one of the most honest, honorable and moral persons ever to have crossed my path. He taught me those things, not only with words but by his actions. Never just talking the talk but walking the walk. Not that I always listened during the teen years.....

Sometimes it takes the perspective of age to see what gifts we have been given. My Dad was and now is again, one of the biggest blessings in my life. It has taken me a long time to realize that the relationship between my Mom and Dad was not about me. Yes, it was painful and yes, I was an up-close-and-personal observer but it was not MY relationship.

How lovely, after all these years, to be able to say "Happy Father's Day". I love you Dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment