Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Out of the night that covers me....

Black as the pit from pole to pole...
Invictus was one of my Mom's favorite poems. I love it too and this morning at 2:30am I got to see just how black it could be. Our power company left a message on Monday saying the power would be out from 2:30 to 3:30am but when you are stumbling to the bathroom at that time of night, rational thought is not present.

I thought "here we go again"...another circuit breaker shut down. I felt my way into the living room where I had left the flashlight after trying to find the non-existant black box for the tv the day before. Found it and trekked out to the garage where the circuit breaker box is located. All seemed ok. Sigh.

Headed back to the bedroom and that is when I noticed that there was no light coming from the village, at all. Then the light in my head went on ( the only dim bulb in the valley ) and I realized what was happening. It was the darkest dark I have ever seen, the only light coming from the stars. With no ambient light there were thousands and thousands visable. Beautiful but strange. So very quiet...

Unfortunately, when dawn finally came this morning everything that has a time set was blinking and had to be reset...not a big problem but a little irritating. When I tried to turn the lights on in the living room, nothing. Ok, thinks me, now it IS the circuit breaker and sure enough it was. It will not stay in the "on" position so the lights still dont work in there. I have no idea who to call since we dont know any electricians.

I KNEW when I posited the question "what next" that I should not have. It never fails.....

No comments:

Post a Comment